The department of Communication and Culture at BI Norwegian Business School invites applications for a 4-year tenure track position of Assistant Professor in Communication and Technology. The successful candidate is expected to be a driving force that enhances our research and teaching at the intersection of communication and digital technology. The department has 59 faculty and conducts research and teaching in fields such as corporate and, cross-cultural communication, internet and technology studies, as well as management in the media, education, arts and creative industries sectors. Please visit our website for more details: https://www.bi.edu/research/find-department/department-of-communication-and-culture/.
We actively encourage women to apply.
The successful candidate is expected to:
- Carry out internationally oriented empirical research that is publishable in established international refereed journals;
- Contribute actively to the development of the Department’s research in the field of communication and technology;
- Expand the Department’s national and international research connections;
- Participate actively in the Department’s research groups, such as the Nordic Center for Internet and Society (www.bi.edu/ncis) and/or the Nordic Alliance for Communication & Management (www.bi.edu/research/centres-groups-and-other-initiatives/nora), as well as in relevant international scientific associations and networks.
- Contribute to the teaching and development of both bachelor and master level courses in organizational, corporate, and/or computer-mediated communication.
- Take an active part in relevant national and international academic networks and organizations;
- Develop and maintain close contacts with relevant organizations and professionals in the technology and communication field.
- A PhD degree in the social sciences, preferably in communication, technology, management, psychology, or sociology;
- A promising research pipeline relevant to the field of communication and technology, including articles in international refereed journals; or manuscripts in later stages of development for such journals
- Good knowledge of and ample experience with a wide range of social-scientific research methods;
- The ability and willingness to develop and conduct cross-national, comparative research;
- Ideally, some prior teaching experience in an international environment;
- Strong communication and organizational skills and the ability to work closely together with others in an international and diverse team environment;
- Excellent proficiency in spoken and written English. At BI Norwegian Business School today, bachelor level classes are predominantly taught in Norwegian and master classes are taught in English. Applicants are expected to be able to teach in Norwegian within 5 years. Language classes are sponsored by BI Norwegian Business School.
We are looking for candidates with competency(ies) of the following areas:
- Organizational communication, Strategic communication
- Communication in social media, network, and digital platforms
- Digital infrastructure, algorithm, artificial intelligence, human-machine interaction
- Digital methods
The application must be written in English and include the following enclosures:
- Application letter/cover letter
- Complete and numbered list of publications. The enclosed publications must be marked with star*.
- Research plan, including a short description of previous research and a plan for the coming years that includes an account of involvement in organising research, establishment of research seminars, symposia and congresses, etc.
- Teaching portfolio. Documentation of teaching qualifications and research dissemination (organisation of classes, materials, courses and other forms of teaching).
- Curriculum vitae (including the applicant’s email address, telephone number, and list of referees (maximum two names))
- Documentation of qualifications (examination certificates/PhD diploma, etc.).
- Publications. Applicants may choose a maximum of five publications for assessment, of which at least two of these publications must have been published or are currently under a review process in internationally recognized, peer-reviewed journals or in comparable high-ranking series published with internationally recognized publishing houses. The publications selected must be uploaded as attachments and listed from 1 to 5.
Should any material submitted consist of work with named co-authors, or work that is otherwise the result of collective academic endeavours, the extent of the applicant’s contribution to the work must be clearly stipulated. The Faculty may ask for a signed statement from the co-authors confirming the extent and nature of each individual’s contribution.
We would like to fill this position in 2022/2023.
The closing date for applications is August 31 at 23:59 Central European Time.
For more information about the position, please contact Head of Department Professor Sut I Wong via email: email@example.com, or tel. +47 46410723.